Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Iftar in Dhaka Bangladesh - Baton Rouge

bangladesh, buffet, food, gulshan, iftar, baton rouge,
Baton Rouge Iftar buffet
Religion which is embedded in the culture, is one the defining attributes of a country. I am not muslim but I am amazed and I truly appreciate how deeply devoted the people are when it comes to their religion.

Here in Bangladesh if i got my facts correct, 90% are muslim. At this time of the year, for 1 full month they observe ramadan, which is regarded as one of the 5 pillars of Islam. Along with it, practicing muslims observe fasting from dawn until sunset.

After sunset, 'Iftar' is observed and done as a community event, with people gathering to break their fast together. I am privileged to be invited to join this religious observance, though I practice a different religion.

Being a part of it gave me a different perspective on people's faith, set of beliefs and traditions and what makes up the identity of a country.



No comments:

Post a Comment